Growth is an essential element of every one of Milestone’s investments. But we are not operators: We rely on the management teams at our portfolio companies to drive that growth. We collaborate with management to chart the path.
We understand growth creates complexity and demands resources, new ways of doing business and new areas of expertise. We work hard with our teams to identify what they need and help them get it. Analysis and planning. Personnel. Board members. Consultants. Add-on opportunities. Capital.
Decades of experience have taught Milestone’s professionals that there is no one solution, no one operating partner, no checklist that applies equally well in all cases. So, while Milestone has a sophisticated program that it uses, that program is designed to be applied in a way that is customized for every company. The end result is an array of precisely targeted resources that help management realize its vision.
Our process for adding value:
Develop a comprehensive strategic plan
Milestone works with its management team to come up with appropriate short-term and long-term plans to grow the business
Assemble a strong, added-value board of directors
Milestone assembles a team of precisely targeted experts who serve as a sounding board for management and to assist in key strategic initiatives
Uninhibited access to expert third-party resources throughout the duration of our partnership
Milestone collaborates with management to select resources who have market and/or operating expertise that can help shorten the time and cost to achieving our strategic plan
Milestone finance and M&A support
Milestone’s dedicated deal teams are always available to our portfolio companies to upgrade reporting, streamline budgeting, and identify and complete accretive acquisitions
Access to deal flow and capital for growth and add-on acquisitions
Milestone uses its reserved pool of capital and its sophisticated business development team to support organic growth and identify acquisitions for each of our portfolio companies
Intra-portfolio company networking and best practices
Milestone makes sure our management teams are available to each other to discuss best practices and lessons learned across our entire portfolio
Common valued-added initiatives:
- Revenue enhancement: sales analysis, marketing/branding, website/Internet optimizations, public relations, new product development, etc.
- Operational improvements: procurement, IT infrastructure optimization, manufacturing efficiencies, business process improvement
- Strategic planning: target customer profile, value propositions, operational alignment, resources analysis/budgeting
- Industry analysis: size/scope, trends, customer/supplier/competitor analysis, barriers to entry
- Human resources: background checks, hiring practices, personnel evaluation and development, organization, structure, compensation
- Risk and compliance: insurance, benefits, legal, audit, tax, reporting systems and controls, environmental
- Advisory: board level support, precisely target industry experts, intra-portfolio company networking