Milestone’s systematic value creation approach was developed over 20 years and is tailored to meet the particular demands of lower middle market Financial Services, Technology-driven Manufacturing and Technology-enabled Solutions businesses. Our investment professionals and operating partners work actively with management to foster earnings growth, usually in parallel with organizational development and professionalization of the businesses in matters ranging from high level strategy down to internal systems.
We help management teams develop or refine business strategies, address personnel needs and succession plans, identify and execute add-on acquisitions, update systems and procedures and make various other improvements to our portfolio companies. We understand growth creates complexity and demands resources, new ways of doing business and new areas of expertise. We work hard with our teams to identify what they need and help them get it.
Decades of experience have taught Milestone’s professionals that there is no one solution, no one operating partner, no checklist that applies equally well in all cases. So, while we have a sophisticated program that it uses, that program is designed to be applied in a way that is customized for every company. This will assist in creating a result that more precisely targets resources to help management realize its vision. Please read our stories to learn more about our approach to value creation.
Common valued-added initiatives:
- Revenue enhancement: sales analysis, marketing/branding, website/Internet optimizations, public relations, new product development, etc.
- Operational improvements: procurement, IT infrastructure optimization, manufacturing efficiencies, business process improvement
- Strategic planning: target customer profile, value propositions, operational alignment, resources analysis/budgeting
- Add-on acquisitions: sophisticated business development team can identify proprietary add-on acquisitions
- Industry analysis: size/scope, trends, customer/supplier/competitor analysis, barriers to entry
- Human resources: hiring practices, personnel evaluation and development, organization, structure, compensation guidance
- Risk and compliance: insurance, benefits, legal, audit, tax, reporting systems and controls, environmental
- Advisory: board level support, target industry experts, intra-portfolio company networking